1904: US Army post established.
1905: Post commissioned, and named Fort
1912: President William Howard Taft
signed bill increasing Fort Oglethorpe
to a full brigade post.
1914 - 1921: Post expanded during WWI
to more than 1,600 buildings and more than 60,000 troops. Parade ground was used
as detention camp for enemy aliens and prisoners of war.
1920 - 1930: Soldiers of 6th Cavalry
held polo matches on the parade grounds.
1930 - 1940: Post prepared for war,
with bantam cars and other automobiles gradually replacing horses in the 6th Cavalry.
1941 - 1945: Fort Oglethorpe used as Army induction center,
prison barracks and stockade during WWII.
1942: Sixth Cavalry transferred to South Carolina.
1943: About 5,000 women from the Women's
Third Army Corps Training Center move in.
1947: Post declared surplus.
1948: Civilian town created.
1949: City of Oglethorpe chartered.